Machine shops, fabrication shops, construction sites, foundries, steel mills, airports, and more, are amongst the noisiest work environments. Use of hearing protection devices (HPDs) like ear plugs and ear protectors is an important tool in reducing exposure to noise and preventing hearing loss. Learning the proper way to use soft earplugs, one of the most popular and commonly used hearing protection devices, is essential to ensuring their performance and ability to protect your hearing. Watch Kurt Repsher demonstrate the correct way to use soft ear plugs in our latest safety & PPE video.
Roll. Pull. Hold!
Using soft foam ear plugs properly is a simple process. Prior to applying the foam ear plugs and following the steps below, be sure you do so with freshly gloved or newly washed hands to avoid transfer of any germs or contaminants into your ear canal during application.
- Between your thumb and forefinger, roll the earplug up and compress into a small, thin, wrinkle-free cylinder.
- Pull the top of your ear up and back with your opposite hand to straighten out your ear canal in order to allow easier, more comfortable application. The rolled-up foam ear plug should slide right in.
- Hold the ear plug in with your finger until it expands to fill the ear canal. Your voice sound muffled when the plug has made a good seal.
Secure the ppe that allows you to move forward, safely
We carry a wide variety of safety products, personal protection equipment and COVID response items that help ensure the safety and health of your team:
- Disposable Gloves
- Face Masks
- Face Shields
- Disinfecting Cleansers & Wipes
- Eye Protection
- Hearing Protection
- High Visibility & Protective Clothing
- Hand Sanitizer